Tuesday, August 21, 2007

SEETA

Seeta was her name who washed my utensils and swept my house.
Looking at her one felt something churning in ones stomach with grief,
at least I felt that way. How could Seeta be so simple so poor, so forthright,
that is what her image projected.In this “kaliyug”, you did not expect
any bai even if her name was Seeta to be so.Mrs. Pereira my ground
floor neighbor sent her. The first day she came in quietly and stood
before me, she stood as if she was waiting the ground to engulf her,
She portrayed a feeling as if she did not want the world to see her,
as if she was a non entity in this physical existence. Those eyes glued
to the ground, a little ill dressed ….that was a little surprising in
the existing scenario where bai as they are called are always
well dressed. She also lacked the jhatkas and matkas of the Indian -bai
After the initial introduction very matter-of factly, I told
her that she was supposed to do cleaning utensils, washing
clothes and swabbing floors. “How much salary do you expect
“Rs 450/ pat was the reply. “I will pay you 350/- I replied,
“Yes" she said.
And the bargain was fixed.
She hardly spoke, even when spoken to she answered in monos,
never uttering an extra word. I always wondered,
“How could a bai be so quiet”, she was so accurate in her work
that one could hardly find any faults. She had perfect entry and
exit timings and her work completed on the stroke. And I kept
on wondering “how could a bai be so….”One month passed and with
great respect and honor I gave her the monthly salary, I could
just see a flicker of smile on her face while expecting it.
Before I could confirm, her face was back to its original canvass.
that pitiable smile again stirred my heart but I was on the alert,
I would not fall prey to such emotions of pity and helpfulness,
I had had enough of my share of agonies with these bai and their tantrums.
Now the second month started with the same timetable and
excellence here I was in complete bliss finding a bai to
work so deligently.another 15 days or so passed and one
fine morning there was a knock on the door .I opened it
thinking it must be seeta. It was a small child of 5 yrs
informing me that seeta would not be coming to work. As
she was not well, I did not mind. Eight days passed by no
sight of seeta, .I wondered…....
Another eight days passed…. By now, I was fed-up with the
daily chores. I got restless and decided to make some
investigations. I inquired with two of her cousin sisters
who replied that she was not well .one day I decided to
confirm and came to the block in which her cottage was
situated. A boy of 15 yrs was sitting at the entrance. I
asked him if seeta was inside and that, I had come to meet her.
“oh madam “ he replied “don’t you go in she is not on her
senses what happened I asked fearing something dangerous…
nothing madam only that she is a drunkard and for the last 20 days,
day in and day out she has been drinking heavily…now at the moment
she is just not on her senses.
I was stunned and dazed I did not know what to say…
Life had taught me another small lesson….never judge people by appearances.
Sometimes I think and wonder …what must have been the experiences to make her so
Anyways you never know…

get paid to review this post just go to the link in the square:

No comments: